Museo del Bigallo

Posted by

The origin of the name “Bigello” derives from the Compagnia Maggiore di Santa Maria del Fiore that became Compagnia del Bigallo an organization founded to assist the elderly, orphans, and the poor. The building that today contains the loggia and oratory were parts of one house that was given to company in 1350.

This is a small Museum with paintings about religious life through centuries and some sculputers.This collection is located in the Loggia, in the oratorial at first floor. Inside the Loggia note the Crucifix by the Maestro del Bigallo, a triptych by Bernardo Daddi and other paintings by Ghirlandaio: the most famous work is a fresco situated in the Sala dei Capitani, where Daddi painted Florence with the Baptistery, the Cathedral etc.